JUROJIN – Statistics for Fatigue Testing and Reliability Analysis
Challenge: Reliability Demonstration is Expensive!
Before components enter production only few and expensive prototypes are available for reliability demonstration. Especially for safety relevant components, this demonstration is crucial.
In order to plan the verification efficiently, many questions have to be answered
- How many prototypes need to be tested? At what test duration?
- Either many short or few long tests?
- How to analyse the test results?
- Required statistical confidence level?
- Are different suppliers producing the same quality?
- Is it possible to expand a components homologation to a modified version?
With the help of statistical reliability theory, one could answer the questions in principle. Unfortunately, this theory is almost always formulated only for larger sample sizes. Additionally, it is difficult to find an access to the thought patterns of statistics.